avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Standardizing Meta Info
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2003 18:45:30 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Hi Berin:
>
> Berin Loritsch wrote:

>>> The important thing to do in this case is to ensure that the meta
>>> info is
>>> collected the same way.  I have a feeling that if we remove the *.meta.*
>>> from the Merlin collection mechanism things will be a bit easier to
>>> integrate.
>>> Any thoughts on this?
>>>

>> I just attempted to build Merlin Meta, but it won't compile.
>

> It should do.
>
> $ cd merlin\meta-spi
> $ maven jar:install
>
> What is the problem you are having?

Aha!  without the "build.txt" file describing this crucial step,
the merlin/meta fails.

Typically I type

$ maven test

instead.  The version of meta-spi in the repository is old.

>> Also, I noticed
>> some things:
>>
>> 2) Merlin-Meta-SPI does not have any test cases
>>    - It is chocked full of classes--not interfaces
>>    - Each class should have a testcase to excercise its methods as
>> necessary.
>
> The meta-spi classes are immutable (and serializable).  The test cases
> are over in the meta package which contains the builders (reading in
> from serialized for, reading from XML, reading in from legacy, etc.).

I see.  However the test cases should be more thorough, and in the
project where they belong.

>> 3) Merlin-Meta does not compile
>>    - It could require a current snapshot of the Meta-SPI JAR, but it
>> doesn't.
>

> ???
>
> $ cd merlin/meta
> $ maven jar:install

It only works after you compile and install meta-spi that way.  The
version of meta-spi and meta in the repository is incompatible with
current CVS.  That is where the problem occurs.

>> Can we get these things resolved?
>

> What problems are you seeing.
> Everything is working fine as far as I can see.
>
> Cheers, Steve.
>
> p.s. will be replying to the prev email later this evening.

Great.  I look forward to your responses.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin