avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Standardizing Meta Info
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:50:27 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> The important thing to do in this case is to ensure that the meta info is
> collected the same way.  I have a feeling that if we remove the *.meta.*
> from the Merlin collection mechanism things will be a bit easier to
> integrate.
> Any thoughts on this?

I just attempted to build Merlin Meta, but it won't compile.  Also, I noticed
some things:

1) Merlin-Meta's JAR is identified as "avalon-meta-1.0.jar" (from the tools).
    - Currently this is false advertising.
    - I would like to make it avalon-meta, but we need to start making changes

2) Merlin-Meta-SPI does not have any test cases
    - It is chocked full of classes--not interfaces
    - Each class should have a testcase to excercise its methods as necessary.

3) Merlin-Meta does not compile
    - It could require a current snapshot of the Meta-SPI JAR, but it doesn't.

Can we get these things resolved?

I plan on moving them out into sandbox itself to start working on the meta
package as *Avalon* meta.  This will be the first step towards the Container
Extensions API, and it will help generalize the Meta package so that it is
easy to fit into Fortress, Merlin, and Phoenix.  We will also be able to
identify any lapses in its current functionality so that we can fix them
later.

We may want to have some tool extensions so that we can collect other types
of meta info such as Management Extentions or Remoting types of things.  We
will look into that after we generalize the meta package.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin