avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Adopting XP Practices in Avalon
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 06:11:36 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>> The other XP principles you mentioned are all good, but test-driven
>> development is a decoy. You can never catch the hard-to-find bugs and
>> simply fixing the trivial bugs, when they occur, is much faster than
>> writing formalized tests for them.
>
> I have found the opposite to be true.  You can't truly fix a bug until
> you can prove it is there.  Secondly, you can't prevent that bug from
> resurfacing unless you have a test case that catches it for you.

Also, the "Document Style" also assumes "slow evolution". The XP testcases
are always in-sync with the code evolution, since "Continous Integration"
requires it to be so.

I used to be more "test hostile" and "documentation friendly", but have
recently changed, as not only does the testcases improve quality and
fasten the coding, but also drives the Use-Case design issues.

People who hasn't been infected will always criticize the "Test driven"
principle of XP. It is an earth shattering experience to become infected.

Finally, the Unit testing does NOT REPLACE functional tests, which Kent
Beck et al, unfortunately does not cover very well in literature, but I
think can leverage the XP model independently of the Developer side of the
XP equation.

Test Infected...
Niclas