avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@managesoft.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Parameterized Lookups ?
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:54:45 GMT
Hi Leo,

Hope you enjoyed your holidays. :)

Thanks for taking the time to list some alternative approaches!

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 10:49:20AM +0200, Leo Simons wrote:

> think of seperating various types of constructor arguments for your comp
> into the comp configuration, the comp dependencies, etc etc. The URI is
> logically part of the client component configuration, right? Jason van
> Zyl did this in plexus with the Configurator pattern:
>
> interface ServiceBroker extends ServiceManager
> {
> 	Object lookup( String role, Configuration configuration );
> }

Interesting approach - I remember when Jason was talking about dynamic
reconfiguration of components. This must be how he achieved this.

> the easy way out is to not make everything into an avalon component, but
> have an avalon component provide you with the worker class:
>
> interface MyComponentManager
> {
> 	String ROLE = MyComponentManager.class.getName();
> 	Component newInstance( String URI );
> }
>
> mcm = (MyComponentManager)m_sm.lookup( MyComponentManager.ROLE );
> component = mcm.newInstance( m_configuration
> 	.getchild( "component-uri" ).getValue() );

This probably suits my application the best - I should have realized this
sooner as it's similar to the approach the SourceFactories use to create
Source objects.

In my app though the URI is created dynamically - hence the need to set it
dynamically, but that could still work with the above of course.

> the clean way out is probably to use a lifecycle extension to decorate
> your component with transaction support and make the client component
> configuration part of the transaction state.

I think this is also what Leo Sutic was describing in another reply to my
email. It seems to be similar to the initial interface I had in that I have
to set the URI via a set* method, but I like the use of ThreadLocals to
essentially remove the need for Factory components - brilliant :)

If I used a lifecycle extension to set the transaction configuration though,
do you think it would still be possible to set the configuration
dynamically from data built at runtime??

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: