avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Vinay Chandran <vinay...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Custom Service Attributes
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 04:02:37 GMT
Steve,
> The reason
> for the existance of
> all of these things your describing are related to
> distributed service
> support.

So whats the current use of urn:avalon:service.type.?
I assume its just hanging in there to be lifted to
higher grounds during a built of distributed
infrastructure.
Yet if we provide for a generic means to plugin
extension points(eclipse style ) to the way we resolve
and export services from component types , we are
actually addressing some of our concerns of dist'n.
I was looking at a flexible means for doing this
since not all of the platform instances
 might have this need.
One way to handle this by making block.xml
executable. (Infact I could dream further of
making all descriptors executable,if needed).
By executable I mean , the descriptors although has
most of its parts dead, yet can contain jelly(ant)
style tasks which can provide magic right from under
the carpet.
This might thus lead to  a scenario where we have
descriptors itself acting as a glue to bind components
within a container and provide 'extra' magic out
from them.

Thus(one can imagine),
<block
xmlns:magic="java:org.apache.avalon.magic.taskdef">

   ....... (standard stuff)
 <magic:export>
         <component
type="org.apache.avalon.simple.component"/>
 </magic:export>
    ..

</block>

Thoughts?
Anyways this is definitely stetching things further.

Yet I would be truely interested in understanding
how you have implemented a 'heavy' custom appliance
to provide custom decorating features to service
types.

> However, there is more work needed before
> bringing these
> features out of the closet - namely the introduction
> of a solution for
> remote service notification so that we can
> synchronize deployment,
> suspension, re-deployment and decommissioning
> actions across different
> JVMs.

Seems like time to get AltRMI into this act.
(maybe it can be the hero of this movie one day :-) )

Regards,
Vinay