avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Tetsuya Kitahata <tets...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE-RESULT] Aaron Farr as a committer on Avalon
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:42:26 GMT
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:15:41 -0700
(Subject: RE: [VOTE-RESULT] Aaron Farr as a committer on Avalon)
"Farr, Aaron" <Aaron.Farr@am.sony.com> wrote:

> Personally I think the real difficulty in Chinese lies in literacy.
> Learning Chinese characters is mostly just a matter of brute memorization
> and it's a huge task.  It's not like you can easily sound out an unfamiliar
> character.

I think so. Kanji (Chinese Character in japanese) have over one million
characters, too.
(Of course, we can not memorize all of them in our *poor* brain...
around ten thousands or thereabouts)

Chinese grammer is alike to the westerns' ones. Japanese is completely
different.

Note/Digression:
 The difference between eastern and western cultures is, IMO,
 the weight of "Read/Write" and "Listen/Speak". Eastern culture
 take care of the importance of "Read/Write"  *more* than that of
 "Listen/Speak". I think this is derived from the *fact* that
 all the chinese-oriented cultures have/had Chinese Characters.

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)