avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Farr, Aaron" <Aaron.F...@am.sony.com>
Subject RE: [ANTI-VOTE] Lifecycle Extension Tags
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:43:02 GMT

<snip/>

> * moving out of core means death to the idea of reliable deployment
> across containers

I was going to mention this in another post, but I wanted to see your
response first.

So given what Berin mentioned:

>Right.  It is my position that we should manage these things in unieque
>namespaces for function points.  That way they can be free to explore
>things, and developers will be aware that only containers which advertise
>support for the namespace they are using will be able to run their
>components.

So the question comes down to this:

If I'm a clueless user and I attempt to deploy a component which uses
lifecycle extensions in a container which does not support it, what happens?
Does the container gracefully refuse to deploy the component or does it
deploy it regardless?

I think this is the difference between acknowledging but not supporting a
meta-tag and simply ignoring it.

If I understand Stephen's position it is that using the @lifecycle namespace
vs the @avalon namespace implicitly states that containers (that is
container developers) can ignore it.  This then causes the cross-container
deployment issues which he is apparently so concerned about.  Please correct
me if I'm wrong.

I don't mind the @lifecycle name itself, but I think it's important we
clarify whether all containers recognize it or not, ie- even if Phoenix
doesn't support it, what happens if I try to use it in the Phoenix
environment?

jaaron