avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [RRT] Getting back to the basics (long)
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:25:37 GMT

This is a good goal - try things out in separate containers and then
merge back the code into the core.

The problem is that such merges often take on the form:

   "This code works well in X. So we'll just put it in the core
    as it is, and no changes are allowed."

Instead of looking at the concepts of that code, and, allowing it to
change, get merged into the core:

   "These ideas works well in X, let's see if and when and in what form
    we can get them into the core."

I think this was what caused the last eruption.

If anything, this is what we need to work on. Learning not to lock
ourselves
into our own idea just because we like it the most.

/LS