avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: exCornerstone components.
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:27:35 GMT
Paul Hammant wrote:
> Would anyone mind if I added PicoContainer compatability to the ConnectionManager, ThreadManager
> etc components formerly known as Cornerstone?

you mean addition of various classes like

ConnectionManagerBean extends DefaultConnectionManager
{
	public PicoConnectionManager( /* ... stuff goes here ... */ )
	{
		/** ... stuff goes here ... */
	}
}

right?

No problem with that per se. I think its an elegant idea and providing
some support for it would be nice, but there some potential issues to
remove first. IIUC, adding a new dependendency to
DefaultConnectionManager would mean that this ConnectionManagerBean its
constructor would need to change too. Which means we should be willing
to maintain it. Makes one wonder:

- Who is going to maintain that? (only possible good answer: the same
people that work on cornerstone)

- Is it possible to automate this maintainance? If so... is it already
implemented? Who will implement it? Where will that stuff live?
(possible answer: there's a maven-pico-avalon-interop plugin that
generates the class based on the @avalon.dependency attributes over at
picocontainer.org)

- Are we willing to track PicoContainer developments? (iow what is the
vector of change for the constructor argument concept and is that
acceptable to us)

- What about backwards compatibility issues where people who just use
this stuff as beans depend on the signature of the constructor? (this
worries me the most. Adding a dependency might mean code changes to
client code.)

maybe it makes sense to do this on a branch first? I don't really feel
like adding these classes, releasing, reconsidering, and then alienating
users.

> Thoughts?

like the idea, but some reservations :D

- LSD