avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven/Gump Question about special changes to build
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:10:22 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
>> why do you need to copy source files? Do the tools/ need access to
>> container/ sourcefiles at runtime?
>
> Yes.  THe tools make use of the util/dag/** stuff as well as the
> util/Service class and the impl/roles/ServiceMetaManager for
> various aspects.

ok, I get the problem now. What we have, in fact, is a circular
dependency between fortress-container and fortress-tools, because the
tests for fortress-container utilise the metainfo task provided by
fortress-tools, and fortress-tools utilizes classes from fortress-container.

---

Your solution to the problem is

1) duplicate the classes fortress-tools needs from fortress-container,
ie, copying them, at buildtime, before compiling

A few more options:

2) don't use the metainfo task in the fortress-container tests, breaking
the loop and removing the dependency on fortress-tools, generating a
convenience 'fortress-tools-complete.jar' containing the required
materials from fortress-container.jar (or maybe everything from
fortress-container-complete, for convenience)

3) seperate out the code that the tools need into a new
(mini-)subproject, fortress-util (and/or perhaps a fortress-meta)

4) make fortress-container generate a jar that contains sourcefiles, and
  fetch and unpack that from fortress-tools

---

my preference is probably #2, because it seems the cleanest
conceptually: unit tests should not depend on dependencies of what they
are testing, and having a subproject for three classes is ugly.

Regardless of all that, I think for the gump build it is cleanest to not
modify the ant buildfile but just have inherit="runtime" for
dependencies on fortress-tools. This does not require buildfile
customization and is consistent with how this works for other build
projects (like ant).

cheers!

- LSD