avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven Integration Quick Study (was Re: New Event needed....)
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:44:11 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

>> One thing the changeover to Avalon/Fortress proved is that we need a new
>> Event released, or at least a snapshot released.  The new failure
>> handler is what is causing the maven build to crash, which makes
>> development difficult.
>
> Ok, I have found out that in the short period of time since Fortress was
> released that a few things were altered in dependent libraries which
> caused compilation issues in Fortress:
>
> In order for things to continue to build, we need to upload a snapshot
> jar, and modify the project.xml to depend on that snapshot.

I think there's functionality in maven for "SNAPSHOT" dependency of some
kind. Not exactly sure how that works. We don't actually need to upload
a snapshot: the alternative is to install locally using 'jar:install'. A
quick check of

http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/jar/goals.html

revealed a 'jar:install-snapshot'. When excalibur is mavenized I believe
this might look like:

	cd ~/cvs/avalon-excalibur
	cvs -z3 up -P -d
	# reactor that does jar:install-snapshot for all subprojects
	maven avalon:install-snapshots

	cd ~/cvs/avalon
	# reactor that does jar:install-snapshot for all subprojects
	maven avalon:install-snapshots

additional docs are at

http://maven.apache.org/reference/user-guide.html#Overriding%20Stated%20Dependencies
http://maven.apache.org/reference/user-guide.html#Using%20SNAPSHOT%20Dependencies

> There are three things that come out of this:
>
> 1) We know which dependent libraries need to be updated (i.e. the ones
>    with a snapshot version [yyyymmdd])
>
> 2) The new version of Fortress is dependent on these new versions of
>    the libraries.
>
> 3) Maven encourages you to only work with released JARs instead of the
>    latest and greatest--although you can work around it easily enough).

yep. By making it painful to have minor version coupling you reduce
coupling :D

> Lastly, what about creating the "BIG JAR" where all of Fortress's
> dependencies were included?

what about it?

- LSD