avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Committer Guidelines Document
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:00:02 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Committer Guidelines Document.

cool. Of course, no-one will read it :D

> The document should map the way we *want* to work, which means some
> of us old dogs might need to learn some new tricks.

given that some of the people here were programmers before I was born
(1983) shows that they are quite capable of adapting to change :D

<snip/>

most of this stuff is, of course, pretty much applicable to any OSS
project.................

6) gump integration is a priority. Avalon is one of the more extensive
and complex systems around, and some of the stuff that depends on avalon
(like cocoon) also has big requirements on builds. Please read up on
gump (http://jakarta.apache.org/gump/) and learn when a change you made
requires an update to gump, and make the update. If you're not sure,
whatch for buid failures and ask questions.

7) introduce yourself! It's a long-time tradition to write introductory
e-mails when you become active over here. Besides pointing us at your
weblog and/or personal site and at least one very silly photograph of
yourself, it'd be nice to hear why you're involved at avalon, how that
came to be, and what you're planning to do now that you're involved.

8) answer user questions. We (like most apache projects) pride ourselves
on good end user support, and it'd be real nice if you could keep an eye
on the users list.

9) document stuff. The quality of our documentation systematically lags
behind our code, which is a shame. Even if all you do is add a reference
  to an archived mailing list post on the wiki, this is very much
needed. Of course, we always say to each other that we should document
and then don't. If you know of a way to fix that, do so :D

10) we talk a lot. For some reason, the avalon community is very good at
going to great lengths to discuss rather trivial things. Sometimes the
amount of discussion you will need to do first before any change is
accepted will be terribly out-of-proportion. If you know of a way to fix
that, do so :D

11) get yourself on the PMC. It is very likely that at some point in
time after become an avalon committer, it would be more than appropriate
for you to become a part of the PMC (which is not a scary thing at
all!). When you feel that is the case, but no invititation is coming,
that's probably because everyone forgets about that all the time :D

- LSD