avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Mauro Talevi <mauro.tal...@aquilonia.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] cornerstone cleanup
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2003 17:28:09 GMT
Peter Royal wrote:

> excalibur-event is for SEDA-style events, whereas cornerstone-event is
> more javabeans-style events. Both have their place, but I don't think
> that cornerstone-event's functionality could be easily replicated with
> excalibur-event.

cornerstone-event is a simple implementation of the event notifier
pattern (Gupta, S., J. M. Hartkopf, and S. Ramaswamy, in Java Report,
Vol. 3, No. 7, July 1998, 19-36, "Event Notifier: A Pattern for Event
Notification").
It does pub/sub event messaging but it cannot be considered a
sophisticated event architecture (which SEDA looks like - although I
don't know it enough to comment on it).  Its main use is probably in
inter-service comunication if the system designer wants to achieve
greater decoupling than can be achieved via the ServiceManager.
It's real asset is imo is the fact that it's simple and lightweight.
I could be enhanced, eg adding a dispatcher to decouple the event
notification, or using it to notify remote subscribers.
These enhancements have already been coded and tested and I could
make available if there is interest.
For more sophisticated messaging one would really be best to look
to SEDA or JMS and its implementations.

Cheers, Mauro