avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject [proposal] cornerstone cleanup
Date Sun, 08 Jun 2003 19:17:09 GMT
We should remove some stuff from cornerstone.

The following cornerstone packages are in use by James and some other
projects:

	cornerstone-sockets
	cornerstone-store
	cornerstone-connection
	cornerstone-threads
	cornerstone-datasource(s)*
	cornerstone-scheduler

I think we shouldn't remove these right now (or maybe we should but
that's not part of this proposal)

(*cornerstone-datasource and cornerstone-datasources seem to be mostly
identical; we should nuke one, but also not part of this proposal)

I know no users of the following packages (all remaining ones):

	cornerstone-channels
	cornerstone-dom
	cornerstone-event
	cornerstone-packet
	cornerstone-rmification
	cornerstone-sax
	cornerstone-soapification

I know of the following alternatives for these:

cornerstone-channels - no 'direct' alternative, but it is probably
	better to use a different pattern without using factories.
	Since this is 5 classes only, I think many applications use
	an application-specific version
cornerstone-dom - no 'direct' alternative, I think most programs
	that pool parsers use a generic pool
cornerstone-event - excalibur-event provides all functionality and
	more
cornerstone-packet - no direct alternative, I think most programs
	that use java.net.DatagramPacket just hardwire it
cornerstone-rmification - xml-axis, altrmi, ..., there's lots of
	remoting packages around. The implementation class has a
	big "FIXME: INPROGRESS and NOT TESTED" header
cornerstone-sax - no 'direct' alternative, I think most programs
	that pool parsers use a generic pool
cornerstone-soapification - axis to the rescue, of course

Now is the time to speak up if you are using one or more of the packages
mentioned and are willing to volunteer to write documentation and unit
tests.

I propose we remove all these from cvs (ie, 'cvs remove') on the basis
that they are not maintained and/or have been superseded by other stuff
if someone does not volunteer to maintain these packages.

cheers,

- Leo