avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [merlin] release preparation request for assistance
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 22:36:00 GMT
Leo,

> Agree with everything you said here, Noel. Thing is, if we are going to
> sort-of do the merge/common-base thing we've been talking about, that is
> going to be a rather significant delay in any release. Not what Steve is
> talking about atm I think :D

I don't think that Stephen is talking about waiting, either.  :-)

AIUI, what is unique to Merlin is how it does assembly and management.  None
of that is part of the basic Avalon contracts, just as tomcat's server.xml
is not part of the JSP and Servlet Specifications.

In James v2, we allow matchers and mailets to access Avalon interfaces.  We
also document that the next release of James will prohibit that, while
providing other means to access resources (e.g., data sources, user and mail
stores, etc.).

I suppose that it could be documented that Merlin's management APIs are
experimental and subject to change in the future.  People wanting to use
them with that caveat could, and the Avalon project continue either that
approach or improve upon it in the next generation container.  Container
personalities also addresses that issue, but as you say, the Community still
has to be willing to support those interfaces.

Regardless, you've a valid point.  The Community has to decide to release
Merlin, or to use it as a coding resource for the next generation container.

	--- Noel