avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Dynamic Reconfiguration
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2003 19:03:59 GMT
> Avalon frameworks manage the core tasks and should ideally manage the
> reconfiguration of those tasks. Achieving this means that all Avalon
> components benefit from these advances.

Ideally, yes.  This is something that we should bring up with Avalon, not
just here.  They should provide the core facilities, and we should know how
to use them.

> The configuration file, config.xml, is essentially a persistent store for
> the configuration parameters. As it is XML based we may as well go with
it.
> We may well want to expose the parsed parameters as Java objects through
> some kind of interface.

You mean, other than the existing ones?

> Probably James would use the Java objects as its configuration source
> and perist any changes to the Java objects by updating config.xml.

Avalon provides the configuration interfaces, and should be responsible for
the core support.  However, I would not want to see normal components able
to effect configuratin changes.  The JMX support should be able to do so.

Basically, I agree with your thoughts.  I am simply emphasizing that the
core integration of (re-)configuration and JMX should be part of Avalon.  If
we do it here, for example if that is something you want to undertake, it
really should be done by contributing to Avalon.

	--- Noel

cc: dev@avalon.apache.org