avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Avalon Namespace (was: Re: new phoenixjms)
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:07:51 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:

> Aaron,
>
> I think the problem is "promotion":
>

>>From: J Aaron Farr [mailto:jaaronfarr@yahoo.com]
>>
>>- Projects derived from Avalon with a name that includes
>>  Avalon, Phoenix,... ie- PhoenixJMS, AvalonJMX, AWF (Avalon
>>  Web Framework), MyAvalon, etc.
>

> Yes, this is a problem, since it implies that the product
> is endorsed by Apache, Avalon or some organization that
> hasn't endorsed it.
>

>>- Projects which state in their documentation things like:
>>  "Based on Apache Avalon"
>>  "Powered by Apache Avalon"
>>  "Avalon compatible"
>>  "Works with/in Apache Avalon Containers"
>

> Depends on how that is stated, I think. If I make it part
> of the sales pitch it *can* be a problem, if formulated so
> that it implies endorsement. But I can't see how putting in
> a "project X is based on Apache Avalon, therefore you
> should look to http://avalon.apache.org/... for documentation
> on the lifestyle interfaces". "Our product is officially
> compliant with the Apache Server Framework Architecture
> (Avalon)" can be a problem, though, since it implies
> endorsement.

To tone down the message a bit let put out some practical things
here.  Advertising that a project uses Apache Avalon or is based on
Apache Avalon is A Good Thing(TM).  It's also required (i.e. IBM
has to put a disclaimer that the web server in WebSphere is Apache
HTTPD).

We are not an official standards board, and as we have found out,
our standards need a little bit of work to ensure that a component
will work in the largest set of containers.  Any of the labels you
listed (i.e. "Based on...") are completely ok--in fact I would
encourage their use.  Many folks are using Avalon "on the down low"
or basically it is used in come corporate environments that haven't
officially adopted standards for using open source technologies,
so the developer can't exactly trumpet the use of any open source
project (much less Avalon).  Any advertisement is cool.

The big thing is that you can't make it look like a project is an
official Apache or official Avalon project with the same management
board, etc.  As long as you don't do that, all is well.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin