avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [merlin] JNDI, Engines, and other fun
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:28:54 GMT

Farr, Aaron wrote:

>Hello.
>
>I've been tied up for the last week or two on some other projects, but they
>are now (hopefully) behind me.  In the meantime lots has happened at Avalon
>(you people move fast) and specifically I'm trying to get caught up with
>Merlin development.  Two main questions:
>
>1. JNDI
>
>I'm not sure what the status is with Merlin and JNDI.  What I'd like to see
>is something like JNDI exporting of services declared within a block.  The
>meta-info could determine the JNDI binding names and it would allow access
>to services other than the kernel.  Perhaps something like AltRMI could be
>used to accomplish the exporting part (like EOB).
>
>Does this sound feasible?  Is this at all along the lines of what's
>currently being developed?

It sounds feasible. I haven’t made any progress on the JNDI side of
things - been a touch busy on "other stuff" (patches, docs, the MGR/JMX
stuff, internal affairs, private life, etc.). If you like I can dump the
stuff I've been playing with into sandbox (its not much more than a
primitive provider implementation - mainly for me to get my head around
JNDI).

>2. Engines and Classpaths
>
>I had a hack put together for downloading engine resources from a
>Maven-style repository to the local Merlin repository; however, it used an
>ugly command line hack to get the repository URL.  I'm going to change that
>to use the kernel configuration file and submit the patch.  Has any other
>work been done along these lines?

I have locally an implementation of something that will do the
downloading from file or http urls (adapted from some content in
maven-new). I want to tie this into the FileRepository impementation so
that we auto download content - but with one caveat over and above the
Maven approach - I want to be able to declare the security policy to
apply on downloaded content (certification validation against a trust
store, etc) and as such, I want to keep validated artifact separate from
the Maven repository.

Also - just between you and me, you can already do the following:

<kernel>
<repository>
<root>C:/maven/repository</root>
</repository>
</kernel>

But its undocumented and really just a hack while I'm playing with
repository related things. In the meantime - I suggest we throw what we
have into CVS and see what comes together.

>Also, there was once upon a time talk about a container bootstrapper,
>probably JMX or JNLP based, which could be used to update a merlin or
>phoenix installation.  Well, looks like I need one now.  Just wondering if
>anyone actually put one together.  If not, I'll be hacking something
>together soon enough.

David Bernard has been working on some sample Merlin components that
register themselves as mbeans (samples that work) - although I must
confess that I'm mainly interested in establishing Appliance as an
mbean. I've been mainly working on the human interface side, and there
is still lots to be done - notification, actions, relationships, etc.
Getting in place remote registration is probably the key to bringing the
existing pieces together.

In the meantime, I'll start pushing this content into CVS.

>Oh, and I have PheonixJMS (OpenJMS) up and running in Merlin properly.

I would love to take a look at this!

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell