avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Avalon#
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:12:04 GMT
I am starting to play with C# to get a handle on it.  I will need to use it
in the not too distant future.  There are some immediate concepts that we
need to iron out so that I can provide as much similarity between Avalon# and
Avalon as possible.  One of those things is getting back to the AMTAGS proposal.
We have identified the basics, but I think we can do better--as long as we
remain objective.

That said, here are some changes that I have done to Avalon# in the past couple
days:

* Instituted a build system based on Nant (http://nant.sourceforge.net) which
   looks and feels alot like ANT--but without the need for a JDK.
* Updated the Log4Net library and added in some crucial info: API help file and
   the license (ASL 1.1).
* Moved the namespace from Apache.Avalon to Apache.Avalon.Framework.  Before
   going too much farther, I would like to know if that namespace works for
   everybody.
* Added some rudimentary support for attributes.

The Attributes that are supported are all class attributes.  The issue with
method attributes (which is what we had dependencies under) is that you cannot
limit the method that the attributes belong to.  Perhaps that can be done in
the lookup code, but we can revisit this later.  Here are the attributes:

[AvalonComponent]

[AvalonService("Apache.Avalon.Services.FooService"),
  AvalonService("MyCom.Services.BarService")]

[AvalonDependency("Apache.Avalon.Services.BazService", isOptional=true),
  AvalonDependency("MyCom.Services.DemoService")]

You will note that there are no versions supported yet, as I need a little
direction on how to represent it.  Do we want a Version object (like now)
or do we want to represent it with a simple float or a string?

I will be working up a rudimentary container in .NET, which we can use as
a foundation to learn from.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin