avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [merlin] exception gets swallowed in avalon lifecycle methods, or how can I get them into the debug log ?
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 16:11:40 GMT

kristian meier wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> exchanging your block.xml with the attached file will show the
> behavior I saw before.

I've made an update to StandardBlock to wait for thread startup and on
completioto check for a startup error.

Using the updated block.xml:

 <block>
   <implementation>
     <container name="nested">
       <component name="hello"
         class="org.apache.avalon.merlin.test.HelloComponent"
         activation="startup"/>
     </container>
   </implementation>
 </block>

We now have the following runtime failure:

$ merlin target\*.jar -execute

  [INFO   ] (nested.hello): starting
  [ERROR  ] (sys): Root block installation failure.
  Exception: org.apache.avalon.merlin.kernel.KernelException
  Message: Root block deployment failure.

  Cause: org.apache.avalon.merlin.block.BlockException
  Message: Composite deployment failure in: [block://]

  Cause: org.apache.avalon.assembly.locator.LocatorException
  Message: Internal implementation deployment failure in block:
[block://nested/]

  Cause: org.apache.avalon.merlin.block.BlockException
  Message: Composite deployment failure in: [block://nested/]

  Cause: org.apache.avalon.assembly.locator.LocatorException
  Message: Singleton object access failure in: [appliance://nested/hello]

  Cause: org.apache.avalon.assembly.lifestyle.LifestyleException
  Message: Unable to create new instance for appliance:
[appliance://nested/hello]

  Cause: org.apache.avalon.assembly.lifecycle.DeploymentException
  Message: Component deployment failure in appliance:
[appliance://nested/hello]

  Cause: java.lang.IllegalStateException
  Message: force-error

Cheers, Steve.