avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [merlin] singleton not really a singleton ??
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:56:57 GMT

Kristian:

Have tested this out and I cannot get into a situation where a
particular singleton is not supplying the same instance identity
(indepedently of any activation policy).  I.e. everything appears to be
functioning correctly.

Casn you post the xinfo file of the component that is not behaving like
a singleton?

Steve.

p.s. to be real confident about your environment:

  1. do a CVS update
  2. delete the jar files in the merlin installation directories:
       /lib/shared
       /lib/system
  3. invoke the command:
     $ maven merlin-libs
  4. if the problem persists at least you keno you have a clean
installation.

SJM

Stephen McConnell wrote:

> kristian meier wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> since I made a new build this week I have problems with components
>> which are marked as singletons in the xtype-file
>> but get instantiated serveral times.
>>
>> my setup is the following:
>>
> <snip-interesting-block-directive/>
>

>> this configuration starts fine and works correct. but if I an add
>> attribute activation="startup" to the "http-server" component than at
>> time of instanciating the "find-proxy-ip"  component I get an
>> "address already in use"-exception, because a second instance of the
>> "http-server" is created :-(
>

> That's not good!
>

>> the old build I use the last 2-3 weeks worked fine. so the question
>> is moreless: is this a bug or a feature ?
>

> It's a bug.
> I was doing messing with the activation policy stuff a couple of weeks
> ago - looks like I've done something silly.
>
>> for me the activation attribute shouldn't have any effect on the
>> singleton attribute. the effect I have when I deploy more than one of
>> these Composer (all different types).
>>
>> I have another place where I end up with to many different instances
>> of singletons, but before digging into that I wanted to find out, if
>> I understand the concept of singleton within the container hierachy
>> of a block correctly.
>

> What you expecting to happen should be happening.  I'm going to put
> together a testcase asap and see what is happening.
>
> Cheers, Steve.
>

>> with best wishes Kristian

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org