avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [merlin] singleton not really a singleton ??
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:21:35 GMT

kristian meier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> since I made a new build this week I have problems with components
> which are marked as singletons in the xtype-file
> but get instantiated serveral times.
>
> my setup is the following:

<snip-interesting-block-directive/>

> this configuration starts fine and works correct. but if I an add
> attribute activation="startup" to the "http-server" component than at
> time of instanciating the "find-proxy-ip"  component I get an "address
> already in use"-exception, because a second instance of the
> "http-server" is created :-(

That's not good!

> the old build I use the last 2-3 weeks worked fine. so the question is
> moreless: is this a bug or a feature ?

It's a bug.
I was doing messing with the activation policy stuff a couple of weeks
ago - looks like I've done something silly.

> for me the activation attribute shouldn't have any effect on the
> singleton attribute. the effect I have when I deploy more than one of
> these Composer (all different types).
>
> I have another place where I end up with to many different instances
> of singletons, but before digging into that I wanted to find out, if I
> understand the concept of singleton within the container hierachy of a
> block correctly.

What you expecting to happen should be happening.  I'm going to put
together a testcase asap and see what is happening.

Cheers, Steve.

> with best wishes Kristian

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org