avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Going going gone!
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:14:49 GMT
On 12/06/2003 14:09 Steven Noels wrote:

> On 12/06/2003 11:33 Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>
>> So Phoenix will go out of Avalon, but retain the Apache license? Or
>> will it get a new license? Or will there be a fork and users have to
>> decide which branch to use?
>

> If development on Phoenix continues outside Apache CVS (which is
> perfectly legal), it will be under a different name.

Putting some dots on the i:

* permission to use Avalon Phoenix as a 'brand name' will need to be
granted by the Avalon PMC
* the license won't be Apache's anymore since this requires its codebase
to be residing in ASF CVS, and the Avalon PMC having oversight over the
codebase
* in case of a fork, I'm pretty sure package names for Phoenix'
implementation classes will need to renamed, but unless you use
Phoenix-specific classes or methods in your apps, that shouldn't have
too much effects

I hope this helps and can trigger some discussion.

Kind regards,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org