avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fortress] Minimizing stack traces on startup.
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:53:56 GMT
Peter Royal wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 11, 2003, at 11:26  AM, Leif Mortenson wrote:
>
>> One comment that came up, which I have also thought about as well, is why
>> Fortress continues to attempt to initialize additional components
>> after one
>> has failed.
>

> It is due to the async initialization of components. There is a command
> in the queue to initialize each component, and when one fails, the queue
> continues to process commands.
> -pete

There are ways around that though...

Hmm.

We have the dependency information recorded now, so we can fail early if
there are missing dependencies.  We are ignoring the "optional"
attribute for now, but we should probably add that in now.

The issue derives from the following scenario:

1) ECM had zero dependency tracking, so there was no way to tell which
    components were needed or not.

2) Fortress has limited dependency tracking, but there is no way to tell
    which components are *required* or not.

3) If you cannot tell if a component is required or not, maybe it isn't
    so keep on going.

So if we add a "synchronization" point so that we can be notified when
all components have been asynchronously initialized, we can perform the
proper validation and shut down if any required component is not
available.

If an optional component is not available, then we should place a
warning in the log file, but not shut down.  We need to keep track of
whether initialization is done for a component or not, so we don't
attempt a repeat....

It is doable.