avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Committer Guidelines Document
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:34:11 GMT
Anton Tagunov wrote:
> Hello, Berin!
>
> I'm sorry you had to write this doc because of me.
> In fact most of that you have written would have been
> evident without saying to an individual intellectual
> enough. I just did not write this in my mail but I
> wanted to, that I understand that the framework does
> have a _natural_ resistance to changes.

It wasn't strictly because of you.  There are some long
time issues that have been around for a while, and I
wanted to provide some guidelines that I wanted us
to put together so that we don't keep revisiting the
same things over and over.

You aren't the first one to meet with resistance on
the first guideline, and won't be the last.  I am
putting some words behind the "High Esteem" principles,
and trying to make things run a bit smoother.  One
shouldn't need an asbestous (sp?) suite to develop on
Avalon.

> The problem with WriteProtectable proposal was that
> I hoped the change would be incremental but it
> turned out not to be such.

There are a million ways of doing things, and we sometimes
need to limit our options.  No hard feelings, mate.

> As for the current refactoring attempt of LoggerManager
> it has gone completely side-by-side with the existing
> code, it was built as an alternative implementation in
> parallel.

Excellent.

> Maybe my trouble is that I hurry too much..
>
> Hope to give you no gray hairs in the future :-)

No need to appologize.  We all hurry at times.  We are walking
the balance between mercelessly refactoring things and providing
stability.  Just a brief note about what/how you are doing things
is enough to put our minds at ease.