avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [merlin] block assembly requirements
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2003 02:28:30 GMT

 > Hello,
 >
 > In the merlin block.xml file, you describe a component as
 > follows:
 >
 >  <component name="test1" class="tutorial.TestComponent"
 >      activation="startup">
 >    <configuration>
 >      <source>configuration from block directive</source>
 >    </configuration>
 >  </component>
 >
 > Why is the "class" attribute required?
 >
 > With the xinfo files available, shouldn't it be possible
 > to just specify a name and version and then the container
 > finds the class from the meta-info? Granted, I don't know
 > merlin internals very well yet, but it seems possible to me.

Two problems:

The approach you describing would work if we could gaurantee
that the name of a component type (declared in the xinfo
descriptor  could be assumed to be a unique key within the
scope of the type repository).  This is problamatic because
the type repository is per-classloader which means that you
could have conflicting names.

Second issue is that the name declared under the deployment
directive (the <component> tag) is the name of a deployment
profile (and not a type).  This is important when you want to
deploy the same component type in different deployment
scenarios.  E.g. a type name may be "keystore" whereas the
deployment directive names my be "credentials" and
"authorities".

At the end of the day - the class name attribute is the unique
key with the scope of the repository and from that the location
of the meta-info and associated data can be resolved.

 > Also, seems like it should be possible to generate a basic
 > block.xml file from a maven project.xml file. I'm going to
 > look into it, just wondering if anyone else has already
 > started on this idea.

I guees your thinking about the construction of a classpath
declaration and setup of the basic block structure?
This would make sence.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell