avalon-dev mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <jaaronf...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [RT] container extensions
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:27:58 GMT

--- Berin Loritsch <bloritsch@apache.org> wrote:

> Hmm.  SOAP, AltRMI, RMI, etc. are all remoting protocols.  We should make
> this
> as plugable as possible and as invisible to the user as we can.
>
> JMS is a messaging service, which can be analogous to an event based system.
> Whether it is using JMS or some other application, we need to provide some
> mechanism for it.

Sometimes we can end up in grey areas between these technologies.  For example,
it's possible to have SOAP messages be exchanged over JMS.

However, I agree with the basic idea that there are some fundemental services
like remoting and event or message passing which could be provided by the
container itself via these extensions.

> :)  Understood.  Extensions should probably be formally made into priviledged
> components (i.e. container-space components) which should have the additional
> access to component meta info and assembly info.

I think this is my primary concern.  However, to make it a reality, the first
step is to better develop the meta-info and assembly packages.

> > - Clustering and Failover
>
> Ambitious aren't we?  This means we need a better security model...
> We don't want someone to force us to fail over to an unauthorized
> backup do we?

A good security model is also a priviledged component candidate.  We have
examples of security as a lifecycle extension.  I think it would be easier to
implement if it had access to the meta-info.

Also another random note on this idea of container extensions:  container
extensions help clarify the proper home for excalibur and cornerstone
components.  Some excalibur components (like instrumentation) are essentially
container extensions, while others are just really useful utility components.
Without the idea of extensions, they all end up as part of avalon-components
which understandably makes some uneasy.

> > - Support for JINI or Javaspaces
>
> Licensing!  It's not easy working with patent enabled technologies.

Hmm.  Guess so.  Blast. :)

Oh well.  Still plenty of other cool technologies to implement.

jaaron