avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Log4J Future and Avalon
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:04:08 GMT
On Wednesday 18 June 2003 21:09, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> I had an encouraging chat with the Log4J folks (Ceki in particular),
> and we have some good news from the logger front.  We all knew that
> Log4J surpasses LogKit in the feature list.  We also know that LogKit
> does its job well for only 25% of the weight.  We also know that
> Log4J is not currently friendly to IOC with the Logger.getLogger()
> call.
>
> When I introduced these concerns, it appears that they are all
> addressable, and actually being addressed.  They are working hard
> on Log4J 1.3 which will address the issues of one 345 KB JAR, and
> the new JAR will weigh in at 210 KB--not 25% the size, but a step
> in the right direction.  The remaining 135 KB+ will be separated
> out into two utility JARs that will add the extra functionality
> that some folks will need, but not everybody.

All in all sounds very good, and I think people who look at Avalon (and Cocoon
I guess) for the first time, as I did some months ago, will be a lot less
confused.

I suggested to the Log4J community last year, to support that JDK logger calls
could be configured to be routed to Log4J. Ceki said that was a splendid
idea, but don't know if they have taken up that challange.

I don't know how that sits with your IoC, but isn't JDK Logging always
available to any Block?

Niclas