avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Empowering the Developers
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 03:17:29 GMT
On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 04:19 am, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Amen. Especially, since the life of a non-committer is pretty hard, i.e.
> making small changes are hard to maintain in isolation, annoying to submit
> a patch/proposal, getting the patch applied by a committer, tracking when
> that patch is applied...
> And doing a larger piece is even worse, let's say a refactoring of a couple
> of implementation classes, since the patch may be "invalid" by the time a
> committer try to apply it.

Working with the developers and communicating with them about your actions and
intentions often makes this less hassle.

> Peter D, not until you allow anyone with strong interest to
> maintain/patch/enhance avalon codebase can you have this fairly arrogant
> attitude between "developers" and "users" (who in Avalon's case is fairly
> advanced developers as well).

It is not arrogance. I welcome anyone who actively participates and if you
notice that almost all of the developers in Avalon were nominated by me (with
1 or 2 exceptions) and if they were new to Apache they were likely helped
along by me at the start. All you need to do is show an interest and start
participating constructively if you want to participate.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
The big mistake that men make is that when they turn thirteen or fourteen and
all of a sudden they've reached puberty, they believe that they like women.
Actually, you're just horny. It doesn't mean you like women any more at
twenty-one than you did at ten.                --Jules Feiffer (cartoonist)