avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Cornerstone to Sandbox
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 00:21:02 GMT
On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:53 am, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > No one is maintaining Cornerstone yet so until
> > that time maybe best to move it into Sandbox?
>
> No one is maintaining Cornerstone?  How do you figure?  I thought that you
> and others were maintaining Cornerstone along with Phoenix, and that Merlin
> supports Cornerstone components.

Half of cornerstone is junk code, half is okay. There is no real unit testing,
no maintainable release process and no documentation. Some of the designs in
there are just plain bad legacy items from about 3 years ago when I initially
wrote major chunks of it. The people who contributed to the components no
longer use them, dont have committer access or have rewritten better
components.

I have rewritten parts that I need and added unit tests, schema validation and
documentation and don't plan to go back to using cornerstone that is poor
quality code, release process and mirred by politics.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald