avalon-dev mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <jaaronf...@yahoo.com>
Subject Avalon Namespace (was: Re: new phoenixjms)
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2003 02:00:38 GMT
On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 18:36, Alexis Agahi wrote:
> paul hammant is also very interested in having a phoenixjms upgraded & working.

Okay, I'll start working out a way to update cvs with the changes I
made.  I'll probably send a specific email on that to you and paul
later.

I wanted to ask about the name of the project though.  PhoenixJMS is a
cool name, but I think there are two problems:

1. AFAIK it's a violation of the Avalon Phoenix license:

    The names "Avalon", "Phoenix" and "Apache Software Foundation"
    must  not be  used to  endorse or  promote products derived  from this
    software without prior written permission. For written permission, please
    contact apache@apache.org.

   Just wondering if permission was granted.
   (I'm a stickler for licenses -- sorry).

2. It doesn't run under just phoenix any more.  :)

And one other thing:

PhoenixJMS uses the package structure:  org.apache.avalon.jms.*

Is that a problem?  (also perhaps in terms of licenses?)

Reason I'm cc'ing this to the dev list is because it addresses the larger
question of Avalon based projects.  If I understand correctly, the following
are all not legit unless given permission:

- Projects derived from Avalon with a name that includes Avalon, Phoenix,...
  ie- PhoenixJMS, AvalonJMX, AWF (Avalon Web Framework), MyAvalon, etc.

- Projects which state in their documentation things like:
  "Based on Apache Avalon"