avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Farr, Aaron" <Aaron.F...@am.sony.com>
Subject Avalon Commons?
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:56:43 GMT
Hello.

I've been digging in the Jakarta commons cvs and it occurred to me that the
new avalon-component cvs module is essentially an Avalon Commons.  It might
make sense to explain it this way on the web site in order to help users
makes sense of the cvs repositories.  Additionally it could be added to the
list of "Related Components @Apache" on the Jakarta Commons web site:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/index.html

Second point is that you can find all sorts of odd things in Jakarta Commons
(especially the sandbox cvs).  Does anyone know about HiveMind?  Apparently
it's being actively developed and it sounds a lot like Avalon:

[from
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons-sandbox/hivemind/xdocs/ind
ex.xml ]

In summary, HiveMind is a tightly written, highly dynamic microkernel based
on proven open-source technologies.  It is a superior way to architect an
application,
one that supports very aggresive refactoring.
HiveMind combines together a number of modules to form a registry of
services
and configurations.  Each module consists of:
 Service extension points
 Service contributions
 Configuration extension points
 Configuration contributions

I haven't looked at the code much, but the docs make it sound a lot like
Avalon.

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  DDP-CIM