avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Laurent Rieu" <partne...@fnac.tm.fr>
Subject Re: [RT] container extensions
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:05:56 GMT
Aaron,

I agree with you about the container extensions. I'm currently thinking of
adding JMX support to Merlin. While I can have a lifecycle extension
automatically register specific components (components that implement the
Manageable interface for example) as MBean in an avalonized MBeanServer, I
would like to dynamically instrument these components (ie build their
associated MBean) based on component meta-data. For example, we could have a
specific management section within a xinfo file (I don't know, maybe this is
already the case in Phoenix ?) describing the management interface with the
constructor / operations / attributes / notifications the component want to
expose it its management view (tags could be used to generate the management
part of the descriptor). An (easy ?) way to have something running would be
to use the Commons Modeler and have it build ModelMBean for each Manageable
component based on reflection / deployment descriptor.

I need more thinking about this JMX extension, but I can see two main phases
:
    - the possiblity to automatically build a management view of a component
based on reflection / deployment descriptor: this could lead to a portable
(ie container agnostic) JMX extension for Avalon components.
    - the instrumentation of the container itself so that the container
could use the JMX Notification system to handle component-lifecycle-related
events. The container (ie its internals) could use the component dependency
graph to build a JMX notification graph so that (for example) when a
component is suspended, all the dependent components are also suspended.

Well, this could be tough to implement, but regarding its intenals I think
Merlin has the potential to achieve it (or part of it) !

Laurent