avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] .Net better than Java in some ways
Date Mon, 12 May 2003 12:15:31 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote, On 11/05/2003 11.07:
>>> I personally hate the Capital Letters In Method Names too. (;-)).
>>
>> +1 to that.
>
> It's how a programmer understands the Java suggested notation at a first
> glance... so IMHO they did look at Java, but did they really work with
> it? ;-P

I think you can safely assume they did a few long thorough studies on
the matter. MS is really good at user studies and product improvement
through customer feedback. We just disagree with the average MS customer
I guess ;)

>        http://www.geocities.com/csharpfaq/
>
>    maybe you'll be surprised to see the pitfalls ;-)

Some of that is just silly. Example: "Do not use boxing and unboxing
(...) use wrapper classes.". How often do you test for identity for
wrapper primitives? If the identity of an int were important, it
wouldn't qualify as a primitive!

)

finally! :D

>  - the event mechanism: JDK 1.4 already a this utility class
>    that uses Proxies.  Look at
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/api/java/beans/EventHandler.html

neat. Can't wait till deployment standards switch to 1.4.

- LSD