avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Avalon Bundles/Distribution Units
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 18:41:37 GMT
just playing devil's advocate some more.....

Berin Loritsch wrote:
>> why not just use .Net?

 > [we don't know how to program .Net yet; there is no free version of
.Net, there is no free .Net support for java; many (free) tools which
exist for java do not exist for .Net; we might do better than .Net by
taking concepts from other places as well; in conclusion there is a need
for a native-java version of this stuff]

fair enough :D. We should just keep in mind that most of these reasons
will likely no longer exist in a few years time. That might affect some
decisions :D

> One question that also begs to be asked is if this is something that is
> generic enough to develop in Jakarta Commons, and extend it here.

well, yes. OTOH, everything in avalon-framework besides the actual
XXXble lifecycle interfaces and ServiceManager is generic enough for
that as well (ie CascadingException, Context, Configuration,
SAXConfigurationBuilder). Where's the potential community for this stuff at?

Answering this question is trying to strike the balance between doing an
all-encompassing bloatware and an extremely fragmentized
doesn't-do-anything 5-levels of abstraction dependency-fragile
metametametalayer. You never get it perfectly right :D

- LSD