avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Avalon Bundles/Distribution Units
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 18:14:23 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> I have been giving this some more thought, and after looking at
> ..NET assemblies,

<snip/>

> Thoughts, comments?

nice SoC, some valuable observations.

I've been looking into .Net internals some more as well. The more I
think about this, the more I believe what we are basically trying to do
is add everything from the .Net framework but C# and the class library
to java.

The obvious thing we should address is "why not just use .Net?"

An answer might be "because we need to do this in an existing java
environment".

If that is the sole reason, we might still benefit from compatibility
with at least the concepts of .Net. IOW, Copy the .Net semantics on the
things you mentioned, 1-to-1, where applicable. Disregarding the shared
assembly concept for now (which is add-on extra work), we could copy
over versioning scheme, configuration layout & general format, location,
tool setup and typical usage, the configuration override and extension
mechanisms.......dunno.

why not just use .Net?

cheers,

- Leo