avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Mauro Talevi <mauro.tal...@aquilonia.org>
Subject Re: about cornerstone
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 10:32:47 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Simply the elimination of the maven.xml in the impl and api sub-projects
> supporting unzipping jar contents into the parent target/classes.  I
> would prefer that this is either handled by the parent project, or,
> handled via a plug-in.  Doing it via the parent is probably the easiest
> route.

but probably more difficult to maintain in the longer term.
much of the power of maven lies in the ability to define plugins -
which are (more often than not) simply goals (and/or pre/post thereof)
used in more than one place.
with the number of cornerstone components growing propading changes
to a maven.xml file would become quite a nightmare.

I would propose the creation of a avalon repository (for want of a
better word:-) of maven plugins.
There are quite easy to develop and they *truely* plug-in smoothly in
maven, ie simply drop it in $MAVEN_HOME/plugins directory.

To start off and as an example I'm attaching a sar plugin
to create SARs and to metagenerate xinfo.

All is need to build is:
1. create a src/plugins-build
2. copy maven/src/plugins-build/project.xml to this dir
3. unzip plugin source under separate dir in src/plugins-build,
eg src/plugins-build/sar
4. cd src/plugins-build/sar
5. maven plugin

The maven plugin goal takes care of everything - even installing in the
plugins dir :-)

The avalon plugins can then be avalaible for download in jar form,
and eventually be integrated in maven once there are well tested and
there are sufficiently generic.

Thoughts?

Cheers, Mauro