avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fortress] Proposed algorithm to fix shutdown order when using a roles file. (Was [VOTE] Is Fortress Good Enough )
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 17:36:47 GMT
Leif Mortenson wrote:
> Now that the shutdown ordering is working correctly when using meta data,
> I have been quite happy with it.  At first I was a little worried about
> the idea
> of using "meta" tags that were specific to Avalon.  But after just a couple
> days of using them, I am in love with them.  Kudos to whomever first came
> up with the idea.

That would be Peter D. for applying them here in Avalon.  The concept
came from the XDoclet folks.

> I personally will be using Meta data without any plans to go back.  But
> I am
> a little worried about the fact that Fortress currently is ignoring
> dependencies completely when shutting down applications which are
> using a roles file and no meta data.   The rats nest of problems this was
> causing with my application is what forced me to start looking at using
> meta tags in the first place.

It really can't be solved using the RoleManager approach.

> In my opinion, Fortress, using a roles file is just plain broken in its
> shutdown cycle.  What is the plan long term.   It is really not very
> difficult
> to migrate your components over to support meta data once you know
> how to do it, so Fortress on the whole seems to be quite ready for a
> release, but we should probably be warning users that the use of roles
> files is not fully supported in the shutdown cycle.  Coming from the ECM
> where this just worked.  It took me a while to track down the problems I
> was having when my application was shutting down because I was going
> on faith that Fortress was honoring its contracts.

ECM used a reference counting scheme, so if you did not release every
component you looked up, then ECM was broken.

> To fix this, I was thinking of doing the following.  See what you think:

<snip/>

> By following the above algorithm, it should be possible to build up a very
> accurate list of dependencies as the application runs.

So what you are saying is to build the dependency list at run time?

I like that idea, but we should log any dependency that is found at run
time so that we can account for missed dependencies even if the user is
using meta-info.