avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Patch #14.5 [Fortress] Let's make ContextManager not final!
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 13:24:26 GMT
Anton Tagunov wrote:

> BL> As this does not refer to a bug, I think I would like to focus on a
> BL> Fortress 1.0 release.  We can apply this and whatever other patches
> BL> for the next release (which can be soon afterwards if we want).
>
> BL> All, I think we are reaching the point where we are delaying Fortress
> BL> without resolving bugs.  While all the patches are generally good, and
> BL> we would like to make it into Fortress, do we think that Fortress is
> BL> Good Enough(TM) to release now?
>
> This ll sounds good to me (TM :),
> but since a new release candidate has not been
> rolled out yet, maybe we'll incorporate this too?

Actually, I am in the process of shaking out bugs that were
inadvertantly introduced--and only detectable at runtime.  I
am using my GUIApp project to do it.

> People will start experimenting with Fortress
> and I would rather give them a smoth path to do it.

It is already so much better than what it is replacing: ECM.
We can always improve it for a quick second release.

> Of course, code is freezed at relase cycle to shake out
> bugs, but can we hope that these changes are so incremental
> and so starightforward that they don't introduce any new?
>
> With a will to get this patch in and without a will to
> create any new before the release

Fortress users have been wanting to have something released for a long
time.  I think it is about time that we give it to them.  It is always
easier to relax contracts than to stiffen them.  We can make this patch
a post 1.0 thing.