avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Mortenson <leifli...@tanukisoftware.com>
Subject [Fortress] Component startup order
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 09:48:11 GMT
Everything is working correctly, so it is questionable how important
this is.
The changes I made early this week to get the optimal startup and
shutdown order calculated now display that startup order in the debug
output just before the first component is started. It then displays the
optimal shutdown order just before the first component is shutdown.

As things are now, Fortress is correctly shutting the components down
in the optimal order. But the components are started up in the order
that they appear in the conf file.

This all works ok because if a service looks up a component which has
not yet been initialized, fortress will do the initialization before
returning
the component instance. The drawback is that if A looks up B, which has
to be initialized first, and B looks up C which also has to be
initialized first,
and there is a problem initializing C, this can lead to some VERY long stack
traces.

Since all the work to calculate the correct startup order has been done,
it would be great to get Fortress to use it. :-)

Berin, I could attempt this myself, but there are going to be issues with
what to do when a roles file is being used rather than the meta data. In
that case, the order can not be determined in advance.

Cheers,
Leif