avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Future lifecycle-agnostic container USE CASE
Date Tue, 27 May 2003 01:52:03 GMT

Anton Tagunov wrote:

>Hello, Developers!
>
>Peter Klotz's mail on users@avalon.apache.org asking among other
>things why is it lookup( String ) not lookup( Class ) has pushed me to
>convert it into a "USE CASE" for future avalon container.
>
>Does this really VALIDATE as a USE CASE? (Something such that when we
>implement it we know we have done part of our job :-)

Anton:

If you interested in experimenting with container-agnostic lifecycles,
there is a demonstration of this in Merlin in the CVS (under the
Assembly package test case).  It's not documented - plans are to include
the content as a tutorial under the advanced features package (along
with a bunch of other things).  You can declare (using meta information)
that you want to use a specific lifecycle handler which means you can do
whatever lifecycle model you want - i.e.  everything you describe in
your message is possible.

Here is an example component type definition:

<type>

  <info>
    <name>agnostic-example</name>
  </info>

  <context>
    <attributes>
      <attribute key="urn:assembly:lifecycle.context.strategy"
          value="com.company.AltServiceable"/>
    </attributes>
  </context>

</type>

The attribute named "urn:assembly:lifecycle.context.strategy" tells
Merlin what the component class is that will handle the stage. The
component implementation can be anything you want and can take over the
entire lifecycle processing - i.e. component deployment using whatever
component model you want.

Cheers, Steve.

>----
>
>Lifecycle-agnostic container would allow to support
>
>interface AltServiceManager
>{
>    Object lookup( Class klass, String hint );
>}
>
>interface AltServiceable
>{
>    void altService( AltServiceManager manager );
>}
>
>as easily as the traditional ServiceManager
>
>----
>
>- Anton Tagunov

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org