avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject [summary][PMC:Proposal] Opening up access to Excalibur/Sandbox
Date Tue, 20 May 2003 15:21:13 GMT
we basically have left this unresolved. Kinda not good as we want to
apply the results :D. Let's wrap up.

Summary of thread
-----------------
proposal from Berin: be open to granting karma on avalon-excalibur and
avalon-cornerstone cvs to people who wish to work on components in those
repositories, without "formal" avalon committer status (ie without the
priviledges or obligations related to framework, fortress, phoenix, etc
etc, or project-wide matters)

issue: commit/voting right partitioning? Ugh.
answer: no voting rights, just commit karma because it is easier than
working with diff/patch.

issue: isn't the board against this?
answer: no.

issue: excalibur is not just components. We don't want cocoon people who
work on xmlutil to have anything to say about fortress.
answer: we have here the technology limitations of CVS. We'll have to
trust people to behave. Since they're ASF committers, that's a
reasonable expectation

issue: an "avalon-components" (whether an avalon subproject or just the
more lazy case-by-case commit access to excalibur/cornerstone) doesn't
fit us; stuff should go into jakarta-commons
answer: good point; we had extensive talks about it on the commons list.
Basically those guys think it is better to keep things like xmlutil
here. See archives for commons-dev :D

votes so far
------------
+1	Berin, Leo Simons, Nicola, Peter Royal,
	Carsten Ziegeler*, Leo Sutic*
-1	Paul Hammant

* these guys didn't vote as part of this thread, but have voted in
favour of getting Bruno in, which amounts to a de-facto +1 here as well

So....
------
Under our voting rules, this means the proposal has passed, if you are
willing to disregard that the thread wasn't labelled with "VOTE".
However, Paul's -1 is left dangling in mid-air.

What say you?

Paul, you want to elaborate on your objections, change your vote in
light of additional context given, or just leave things as is and move
forward?

grz,

- LSD