avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT (was: OT)] .Net better than Java in some ways
Date Mon, 12 May 2003 10:32:47 GMT

Leo Simons wrote, On 12/05/2003 12.21:

> Leo Sutic wrote:
>
>>> would it not be easier/cleaner to have the parser output bytecode
>>> rather than sourcecode and short-circuit the java compiler?
>>
>> Then you have to implement all the compile-time optimizations of Sun's
>> javac.
>
> ah, cool, you're thinking realistically :D I could imagine, for example
> forking jikes (which is open source) and implemeting this kind of
> compiler-add-on functionality there. More work, I guess.

The eclipse compiler is all in Java and can be used to hook in
preprocessing. There are also other macro-like systems that do this, but
AFAIK all research stuff.

The real boost to Avalon IMHO would come if we could make users get the
logger as a "singleton" but treat it exactly as in Avalon.
Basically intercept all Logger.log() calls and substitute with a
lifecycle stage + calls to that instance.

;-D

Anyway, another article:
http://genamics.com/developer/csharp_comparative.htm

             - verba volant, scripta manent -