avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Future Direction for Avalon
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 13:44:46 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>>> Today Excalibur is largely utilities. Cornerstone is exclusively
>>> components.
>>

>>> I prefer the Excalibur == utility implementations and
>>> Cornerstone == component delivery.
>>

>> I consider that to be a fairly significant distinction, too.  Reusable
>> components/services that follow that are containable vs utility classes.
>> Berin does not seem to be saying that they are going to be part of
>> the same
>> package.  Nicola Ken made a similar merger back in November.  I am
>> not sure
>> why, but since it comes up often, I'm interested to understand why.
>> Perhaps
>> it is the idea of cutting the number of perceived sub-projects in
>> favor of
>> fewer, larger ones.
>

>  Repository excalibur   = Avalon.getRepository("excalibur");
>  Repository cornerstone = Avalon.getRepository("cornerstone");
>  Repository avalon      = Avalon.getRepository("avalon");
>  Repository sandbox     = Avalon.getRepository("sandbox");
>  Repository jc          = Jakarta.getRepository("commons");
>
>  Projects utility = excalibur.get("utility-projects");
>  AvalonCommunity.transfer(utility, jc);
>  AvalonCommunity.transfer(utility, sandbox);
>  if(!utility.isEmpty()){
>    avalon.compatibility().add(utility.getItems());
>  }

<etc/>

Is Excalibur Threads a utility or a component?
If Excalibur Threads is a component then what is Cornerstone Threads?
If Excalibur Threads is a utility then why is it here?
BURK - bad questions!

Excalibur Thread package is a utility package relative to Cornerstone
Threads.  Those words "relative to" are important - the packages
represent different level of abstraction.  I'm putting this up as an
example of where the reshuffling breaks down.  How you would deal with this?

Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org