avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: about cornerstone
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 23:18:28 GMT

Ulrich Mayring wrote:

>Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>>I would like to start of with a focus on the following components:
>>
>>   connection
>>   datasource
>>   store
>>   threads
>>   scheduler
>>
>>I already have Maven based builds for all of the above which I would
>>like use as a starting point.  Secondly, I would like to introduce a
>>separation between APIs and implementation jar files for each component.
>>
>>Any thoughts, comments, suggestions before I start on this?
>>

>Of course the single Cornerstone jar file is nicer, but I agree that
>there are good reasons for taking it apart like Excalibur. Maybe a
>cornerstone-all.jar could be provided additionally, although I'd really
>not know whether I would use it ;-)

It is certainly possible to create a cornerstone bundled jar. But like
yourself, I doubt if I would use it when individual components are
available.  One of the problems of the bug bundle approach is that it
couples the entire project with specific dependencies and complicates
release management.  With seperation we can maintain independent release
cycles for the respective components (which would be a real plus).

>Cornerstone release: Yay!!! :)
>
>The last missing piece of the puzzle, after that I'll start upgrading
>our production systems and if they survive, then you can all be
>comfortable that the A4 releases of 2003 are quality :)

Yep - exactly.

Steve.

>Ulrich

Stephen J. McConnell