avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Merlin + JNDI (+ Servlet)
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 17:13:37 GMT

See notes in-line.

J Aaron Farr wrote:

>The online Merlin docs mention JNDI access to a Merlin kernel:
>If the initial lookup returns a context then it should be possible to
>eliminate knowledge of the kernel - and keep things focussed on simply
>accessing services. This also brings in the potential for including JNDI
>url resolution of services (i.e. service resolution with arguments)
>which seems to me a desirable direction.

Yes - this is basically what the Merlin JNDI should provide.

>What's the status of this?

Currently is is providing access to the kernel and appliance instances
(the component managers) from which the component instance can be
resolved. This needs to evolve to a JNDI url resolution scheme.
Basically everything in in place now to enable that to happen.

>Specifically, I'm wondering if it would be possible to integrate Merlin
>into a Struts-based app to provide a consistent set of services to the
>various actions and modules.  The trick is getting a handle on the
>container within the Actions.  I thought perhaps an easy way to do this
>would be look up the merlin kernel via JNDI.  Direct lookup of services
>via JNDI would be even better, but if I can get a handle on the kernel,
>then I think I'm set.

You can already get the reference to the kernel - in fact what is there
allows you to access the root block (container) and from that you can
navigate to components and sub-containers.  You can actually get the
services directly using the block url scheme.

>Also I would imagine the best way to put this all together be to have
>the kernel started by a separate servlet in the webapp.  Does that make
>sense?  Anyone have any examples?

That is the approach I have used.  I don't have a servlet example that
uses JNDI but it would not take long to put something together.

Cheers, Steve.

>Just exploring all my possibilities.  Thanks for the help.

Stephen J. McConnell