avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Avalon Bundles/Distribution Units
Date Sat, 17 May 2003 21:53:30 GMT
On Thursday 15 May 2003 08:32 pm, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Sat, 17 May 2003 05:25 am, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > > However internally the kernel will use some sort of listing service and
> > > JNDI may be the interface but I assume we could always switch to JINI I
> > > guess or whatever - thats simply a implementation detail.
> >
> > Instead of being an "implementation detail", couldn't it be an assembly
> > or deployment detail? In which case it becomes a design issue now ;o)
>
> Possibly - how do you see it working? I can not ever see a need for more
> than a fancy hashmap in kernel space to be honest. If I wanted to have a
> remote object as part of my application I would probably do something like
> the following.
>
> <assembly version="1.1">
>
>   <factory name="rmi-factory" class="com.biz.RMIFactory"/>
>   <block name="myRemoteObject"
>              implementationKey="rmi://www.realityforge.org/MyRemoteObject"
>              factory="rmi-factory" />
> </assembly>

So, you are proposing that the "Factory" binds the external service to the
Avalon kernel hashmap?

Hmmm... Need to think a little bit more about it.

One thing I sort of "dislike" in Avalon lookup is the use of ROLE strings
instead of Class (interface) lookup. Why was strings chosen, since I still
need the interface to be able to access it in any useful manner?
The only thing I can think of would be that I want a particular variant (impl)
of the interface, but to me it doesn't validate such pattern...

Niclas