avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [OT] .Net better than Java in some ways
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 20:04:17 GMT
On Monday 12 May 2003 03:35 am, Leo Sutic wrote:
> > From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
> >
> >   -  get{} / set{} and other amenities, look here:
> >
> >        http://www.geocities.com/csharpfaq/
> >
> >    maybe you'll be surprised to see the pitfalls ;-)
>
> I think that FAQ was too pessimistic. Basically any feature that
> could possibly be misused resulted in a "C# Best Practice: Do not
> use feature X."

The world is full of idiots like myself. ALL features has to be exploited in
the most obscure ways. I still remember my FIRST C program (I was to
implement an language "bytecode" interpreter). The main loop;

#define EOC 0x1A  //End of Code

    while( ++p != EOC )
	p = (*(c[p]))(s,p);

c = array of function pointers;
p = position in bytecodes;
s = pointer to stack pointer;

and then a bunch of functions;
char* noop( char** s, char* p )
{}

I thought it was real cool in '85 or so, coming from assembly, so much in so
few characters.

It is no good trying to teach others good patterns, and the more flexibility
the language provide the more likely it is it will be misused at massive
scale, and hard to track bugs as the net result.

Csharp (there is an Fsharp also, an online bank) doesn't impress me one bit.
Even VB is a better choice.

Niclas