avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Future Direction for Avalon
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 23:28:42 GMT
On Thursday 08 May 2003 12:51 am, Leo Sutic wrote:
> > From: Niclas Hedhman [mailto:niclas@hedhman.org]
> >
> > Sharing of components between containers will introduce very
> > interesting classloading issues, if you intend to support
> > reloadable containers and/or components.

> The problem is that Avalon components in general do not have
> defined semantics for reloading.

Exactly, and that's what raised my concern, it is part of a "greater
life-cycle" (think rebirth and Nirvana). Unloading/Reloading IS a major thing
in many server and server-like environments, and Phoenix current solution (
practically, reload all in the subcontainer a.k.a application ) is on
border-line of being satisfactory.

I believe that there is a need to look at many scenarios of how reloading and
its associated pitfalls, should be dealt with. Leo mention internal state,
and there are issues about timing, asynchronous events, linked resources,
fail-over and probably much more.

It would be great if Avalon could define a framework that takes care of this.

Niclas