avalon-dev mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <jaaronf...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [merlin] Maven-like Downloading Hack
Date Wed, 28 May 2003 03:22:23 GMT
On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 18:29, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Hi!
>

> J Aaron Farr wrote:
>
> >Hello.
> >
> >Merlin rocks.  So does Maven.
> >

> ;-)
>

> >I've got a simple hack into Merlin that auto-downloads dependencies listed in
> >the block.xml <engine> configuration.  It first checks for a local copy and
if
> >that doesn't exist it can download it from a Maven-style remote repository
> >(like ibiblio.org/maven).
> >

> This is what I had in mind - although we need a separation between a
> local deployment repository as opposed a local build repository.  That's
> why Merlin has its own repository.  But the intention is to follow the
> Maven pattern here with a chain of repositories, potentially linking
> into a Avalon repo, Apache repo, ibiblio, etc. - and configurable to
> enable enterprise repositories.

Most of what I needed was already in the FileRepository class.  I simple
created a MavenRepository class which attempts to download resources
from the remote repositories when it can't find the resource in it's own
local repository.  Wasn't much work, but it wasn't a very pretty
modification on its own.

I'm interested in what could be reused from Maven itself, but I haven't
gotten that far.

> >Still need to:
> >
> >  - establish way to configure repository locations (new command-line
> >argument?)
> >

> I was thinking along the lines of putting this into the kernel
> configuration (and potential overrides via optional kernel context
> entries reflecting some additional command line switches (or whatever
> the deployment context is)).

This has been the trickiest part so far.  Right now I added another
command line option which creates the repository and passes it into the
context used by the kernel builder.  Putting it into kernel
configuration would probably be a much better solution.

--
  jaaron    <http://jadetower.org>